Saying the name of this recipe makes me feel like a douchebag.
Anyway, my hot gf called me over while attempting to cut through the oversized vegetable. “Ugh, I am cutting it off center,” she complained.
I grabbed the knife and sliced the remaining way through. The halves were about a quarter inch off. “I think it’ll be alright,” I reassured her.
Thankfully, she managed to pull together a delicious side for her pork roast. I love spaghetti squash—might be my favorite vegetable. Every summer I look forward to when my parents grow it in their garden. Just slice it in half, throw some butter, salt and pepper on it, put it in the oven and you’re good to go! Don’t take it from me though: I’m sure my hot gf has devised an even better way to prepare spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hour 15 min Serves 3-4 as a side
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4 tbsp shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs (I used plain but you could use seasoned if you have it)
- salt, freshly ground pepper
-Heat oven to 375º.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and clean out seeds.
- Season with a sprinkling of cinnamon, salt and pepper. Drizzle with EVOO.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour the squash should be fork tender. With a fork start to pull apart the “spaghetti” strands. Top each half with gruyere cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for another 15 minutes or until the breadcrumbs brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Scoop out and serve as a side, or put a squash half on your SO's plate and watch them dig in!